I'm starving...

Share |

-      Hey honey, I’m back…
-      Hi sweetheart…How was your day?
-     It was good, but I’m starving. I could eat a horse. My stomach is growling... What's for dinner?
-      Sorry, I was very busy and didn’t have time to cook.
-      Oh no…
-      But I can offer you eggs – poached eggs, scrambled eggs, or pickled eggs
-    Oh, my dear, last evening, we had sunny-side up eggs. And this week we are always having* eggs. I’m fed up with** eating eggs.
-      Don’t be a fussy eater***.
-      What?! I’m a fussy eater? I just dream about a normal meal.
-      We’ve had biscuits and gravy**** and hash browns this week.
-      Yeah, that has been wonderful for breakfast
-   Don’t worry, I’ll go to prepare you some black-eyed pea***** salad, okay? Meanwhile, help yourself to some nibbles.
-    No, thanks. I think it is better if we get a takeaway I'm dreaming of roast chicken...
-      Okay. Can I pour you some juice or maybe wine?
-      I’ve drunk wine in the office today and I don’t want to overdo it. Juice, please.

***************** 
 * We are always having eggs - Present Continuous with "always" is used to express the speaker's irritation.
Present Continuous - With a word like always or constantly if we want to criticize or complain:
You are always buying new clothes! (= you buy too many)
They’re always forgetting my name. (= it’s very irritating)
! Remember to put the words always or constantly between the verb to be and the +ing form
** Fed up with doing something
*** A fussy eater = a person who has very particular demands when eating
**** Biscuits and gravy is a popular breakfast dish in the United States, especially in the South.
Note that American English and British English use the word "biscuit" to refer to two distinctly different foods. (American English: cookies) In the US, a "biscuit" is a soft bread roll, often eaten with gravy
***** In the Southern United States, eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day is thought to bring prosperity in the New Year. The amount of peas you eat, means the amount of money you are going to make that year.
***** The Black Eyed Peas is also an American hip hop group
******************** Retell I'm starving story using the pictures from the pdf file
*********************For more, watch the video - Tasting weird American food by Olga Rojas :-) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...